About Gambia

The Gambia is a country in Western Africa. The Gambia is the smallest country on mainland Africa,bordered to the north, east, and south by Senegal, with a small coast on the Atlantic Ocean in the west. Its borders roughly correspond to the path of the Gambia River, the nation's namesake, which flows through the country's center and empties into the Atlantic Ocean. Its size is almost 10,500 km² with an estimated population of 1,700,000.Banjul is Gambia's capital, but the largest conurbation is Serrekunda.

Language
The Gambia is a former British Colony and the official language is English but there are also several tribal languages including Mandinka and Wolof.

Economy
The Gambia has a liberal, market-based economy characterized by traditional subsistence agriculture, a historic reliance on groundnuts (peanuts) for export earnings, a re-export trade built up around its ocean port, low import duties, minimal administrative procedures, a fluctuating exchange rate with no exchange controls, and a significant tourism industry.

Currency
The Dalasi, denoted by GMD, is the currency of The Gambia. Divided into 100 Bututs, the GMD has been in use since 1971.  Coins are currently produced in denominations of 25 and 50 bututs, as well as 1 dalasi. Banknotes currently produced are 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 dalasi.
  US Dollar = 27.19700 Gambian Dalasi 
  1 Gambian Dalasi (GMD) = 0.03677 US Dollar (USD)

Religion
The Gambia is traditionally very tolerant of all religious creeds and beliefs and while the country is predominantly Muslim, with up to 90% of the population practicing the basic tenets of Islam, it is essentially a secular country and it prides itself on its broad-minded acceptance of all faiths. Of the remaining 10% there is a population of Christians and a mixture of localised traditional religions.

Climate
Located midway between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator, The Gambia enjoys virtually uninterrupted sunshine and high daytime temperatures with almost no rainfall from November to June.
  Sunshine Hours (Average)
  Temperature ºC (Average Max.)

Festivals
There are a number of festivals that take place each year in The Gambia and most of these are based around annual Islamic festivals. Yet there are also a number of local and traditional religious festivals that are worth observing if you can:
  - Ramadan
  - Koriteh
  - Tabaski
  - Naming Ceremony

Food and Drink
The Gambia offers some of the best food anywhere in West Africa, and one of the things we hear most frequently from people returning from The Gambia for the first time is just how good and how reasonably priced the food is – indeed it’s often a big part of the lure that draws people back to The Gambia time and time again.